While studying the other morning, I came across this verse:
Exodus 24:10 “And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness.”
As I thought upon the image I got from this verse, I researched Sapphire to see what it looked like. If indeed the word translated means sapphire, it is incredibly beautiful!! The sapphire stone is associated with truth! And it is second only to the diamond in strength and hardness. Can you imagine those, who have been granted a vision of God’s Throne, seeing it as a sapphire stone with a pavement of sapphire around it? !! There are so many truths to be gleaned from the following verses, which I hope to touch upon in time. For now, these are the references to sapphire that I found.
- Exodus 28:18 (Ephod) And the second row shall be an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond.
- Exodus 39:11 (Ephod) And the second row, an emerald, a sapphire, and a diamond.
- Job 28:6 (Out of the earth…)The stones of it are the place of sapphires: and it hath dust of gold.
- Job 28:16(Wisdom) It cannot be valued with the gold of Ophir, with the precious onyx, or the sapphire.
- Song of Solomon 5:14 His hands are as gold rings set with the beryl: his belly is as bright ivory overlaid with sapphires.
- Isaiah 54:11 (Jerusalem) O thou afflicted, tossed with tempest, and not comforted, behold, I will lay thy stones with fair colours, and lay thy foundations with sapphires.
- Lamentations 4:7 (Jerusalem) Her Nazarites were purer than snow, they were whiter than milk, they were more ruddy in body than rubies, their polishing was of sapphire:
- Ezekiel 1:26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.
- Ezekiel 10:1 Then I looked, and, behold, in the firmament that was above the head of the cherubims there appeared over them as it were a sapphire stone, as the appearance of the likeness of a throne.
- Ezekiel 28:13 (Lucifer) Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
- Revelation 21:19 (The New Jerusalem) And the foundations of the wall of the city were garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation was jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;
- The Book of Tobit 13:16 For Jerusalem shall be built up with sapphires and emeralds, and precious stone: thy walls and towers and battlements with pure gold.
Close your eyes and keep this image in your mind as you commune with the Lord…amazing, isn’t it?!!
In His Love,
Mid, this post was especially precious (Ha! No pun intended … really!) to me, because just a few evenings ago, the Lord gave me a glimpse of my daughter in the New Jerusalem. She was wearing blue and purple … and a crown of sapphires. 🙂
Kathryn, how awesome to see how the Lord works in these ways…a Crown of Sapphires! What a neat confirmation!I've been sitting on this for a while, because I see so many things to bring out and don't have time until after next week. Can't Wait… 😉
What a great word…really spoke to me….Thanks for sharing..